Saturday 24 September 2011

Food and Drink ? Minkyweasel World

Posted by Shirley Anne on September 22, 2011

Full course dinner

Image via Wikipedia

Some people say that I have some strange eating and drinking tastes. According to them my habits are a bit weird but it?s all down to personal taste. I stumble across things by experimenting. Many years ago now a friend and I were drinking at a bar. I was drinking cider and she diet or normal cola, I can?t remember which. Not watching what she was doing she poured the cola into my drink but rather than throw it away I tasted it and liked it so much I ordered a cola and cider and mixed them 50% equal measures. Later I discovered that the cola would actually sit on top of the cider if poured slowly. The resulting effect is startling and when drunk it starts off tasting sweet and gradually the cider can be tasted until almost all of it is just cider. A bit of a novelty which I still enjoy today, if the bar staff have the time to pour the cola slowly but now I? only add?diet cola. That original discovery led to two more concoctions, diet cola with Red Bull and cider with Red Bull all in the same proportions as before and all with their own distinctive taste. Now here is a really odd thing. Many people drink ?spritzers? which is white wine mixed with soda water or lemonade but there isn?t, or wasn?t a similar drink using red wine. One day a couple of years ago I had a diet cola as an initial drink at the dining table but ordered red wine?to accompany?my main dish. When the main dish had been eaten and I had almost drunk what was left of the red wine I took a sip of cola. Because I still had the taste of red wine on my palette it mixed with the cola and a new drink was born! I poured a small amount of cola in the remains of the red wine in the glass and tasted it. I was amazed that it tasted so good. Nowadays, when I dine out, or as I did on Monday evening in the pub, I buy both cola and red wine and when I am tired of drinking the wine by itself I mix the two together. People think I am mad but it is all a matter of taste.

As for food, I tend to experiment at home with what I have in the refrigerator or larder. I try different things to see if they go well together before including them in a dish together, just as I would with drinks. Many things can be put in an omelette and I often have more than one of these, peas, sweetcorn, mushrooms, onion, tomato, potato, almost anything that tastes well with eggs. Then I lay the omelette?on a bed of cold lettuce and it tastes delicious. I mix fried chopped onions with baked beans, put black pepper and herbs in with cabbage when cooking it (the water is a nice savoury drink). ?Stews can have lots of strange things in them when I cook them here?s one I cooked a few days ago containing, fried onion, garlic, capsicum, minced beef (could be any meat), water, peas, sweetcorn, carrots, mixed herbs, beef stock cube, vegetable stock cube, paprika, ground black pepper, salt, sage and onion stuffing mix, gravy browning, sunflower oil (cooking the onion and meat). A dash of malt vinegar was put on the dish when served in a bowl. It all sounds a bit too much but the taste is worth the effort and it really isn?t an effort, taking only twenty minutes from start to finish. I get bored eating the same old dishes all the time and that is why I experiment. Variety is the spice of life they say.

Shirley Anne

0.000000 0.000000

Like this:

Be the first to like this post.

Source: http://minkyweasel.com/2011/09/22/food-and-drink/

monday night football monday night football andy whitfield dr. phil dr. phil philippines hgtv design star

No comments:

Post a Comment